Friday, November 27, 2009

The smell of the damp earth swirls up around me, filling my head with the scent . I breathe in deeply. The mossy rock beneath me is cold and welcoming form the humid air. I close my eyes and listen. I can hear the creek next to me, the wind blowing through the near-by trees that suround me. The leaves start to rustle , and soon you can hear them being tapped, by the soft summer rain that is starting to fall. The birds are flying above. There wings taking them up and over the meadow,there feathers taking on the wind, making them soar. I hear there happy cherps as they fly. For a moment i imagine my self flying over with them, having my own set of wings, letting out my own happy chirps as i soar higher and higher. A rain drop glides down from a tree close to me,
it taps my head, bringing me back down to the earth. I squish the moss between my toes and open my eyes. The creek is full of little ripples, hitting eachother, making the fish below dart in and out from under rocks. A leaf, full of different shades of green floats down into the creek. I look up to match the leaf with its tree.But, there are so many trees with the same leaves. The trees are all turing inward, from the edges of the creek, making a wonderful hall of green over the creek. The branches are interwinded together, making it hard for the rain to get through. The once almost-silent birds start chirpping,finding there way though the trees to safety from the hard rain. Once the rain starts to soften i take one more deep,relaxing breath ,stand up, and walk back down the path i had came. I dont look back, i dont focus on the past. I focus on now, the present, and what it holds. The trees around me seem to blur as i walk, almost as if im in a different world. Finally i make it back to the clearing. My bike is still wear i had left it, slouched against a tree. My feet make soft , light brushing sounds as i walk over the damp grass to my bike. The bike is soaking, making me shiver, but i dont care. It feels good to be outside again. I start biking, finding my way to the dirt path, then ,eventually, the road. As my legs work to push the tires further and further, i hear loud taps , the rain is falling harder against a house coming up. Its starts to soften just as i reach the house. On the front porch i see a old man in a rocking chair closing his bright blue eyes..........
The rain helps bring my mind to peace. The slight rocking of the chair makes me feel slightly dizzy so, i stop. Its been far to long since any one has come to visit. But, am i to blame them? Who wants to see a man who should be dead? With all the bad things ive done if life, you think karma would come and finally take my useless life away. I suppose actually, letting me rot away in this stupid place would be a better punishment. I wanted to die with my family near, my grandkids tearing up over my life. Some stupid words ruined this. My son stopped visiting after a long fight. He stopped caring for me. This seemed apporiate ,but now i just want to see those younger brown eyes staring at me for my last breathe. Too bad.....to bad......... I can feel it now, it will be soon. The rain picks up for a second, as i take my last, raggeded breath. I stare at a bird flying over head , the rain comes to a stop as my blue eyes close for once and all.........
Must get out of the rain! Must get out of the rain! MUST get back to nest. Find food. Feed little ones. Fly.Fly. Get out of rain! GET OUT OF RAIN! Flap wings,Flap wings! Spent to much sun light near the creek. But so relaxing, and good worms there usually. Little ones be hungrey tonight. Break near next tree? Last chance at food . House! House! Turn around! Non-flyer sitting on porch. Risky, but must break. Rain picks up then comes to a stop.Find worms at tree near house. Good find, bellies of little ones be full tonight. Fly back. Pass over two non-flyers, on bench in park near nest......

1 comment:

  1. amazing post, zoe! reminds me of thoughts that go through my head everytime im in nature.

    ReplyDelete